Chrissie Hynde's Advice to
"How I Did It"
- Don't moan about being a chick, refer to feminism or
sexist discrimination. We've all been thrown down the stairs and fucked
about, but no one wants to hear a whining female. Write a loosely
disguised song about it instead and clean up ($).
- Never pretend to know more than you do. If you don't know
names, refer to the dots. Don't go near the desk unless you plan on
becoming an engineer.
- Make the other band members look and sound good. Bring out
in them; that's your job. Oh, and you better sound good too.
- Do not insist on working with "females". That's just more
the best man for the job. If it happens to be a woman, great - you'll
have someone to go to department stores with on tour instead of making
one of the road crew go with you.
- Try not to have a sexual relationship within the band. It
ends in tears.
- Don't think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look
will help. Remember you're in a rock and roll band. It's not "fuck me",
it's "fuck you!"
- Don't try to compete with the guys; it won't impress
Remember, one of the reasons they like you is because you don't offer
yet more competition to the already existing male egos.
- If you sing, don't "belt" or "screech". No one wants to
shit; it sounds "hysterical".
- Shave your legs, for chrissakes!
- Don't take advice from people like me. Do your own thing